This past weekend was Canadian Thanksgiving. For those of you wondering why we celebrate thanksgiving in October, it’s because having turkey in November and December for Christmas is crazy. So much turkey so close together. Just kidding, that’s not the actual reason. And actually, it wasn’t until my parents started spending winters in Phoenix did I know that Americans don’t usually eat turkey on Christmas day, which made me realize you Americans are insane.
How can you give up a perfect excuse to eat turkey??
Originally, Canadian Thanksgiving was celebrated around Remembrance Day back when it wasn’t called Remembrance Day. But then we decided to separate the two and everyone rejoiced as we got another long weekend out of it.
Yesterday, I was very close to doing another Motivational Monday with Jess but then I decided laying down and watching ……stuff on TV……was more important. So instead, here is a list of 30 things I can think of right now that I’m thankful for. (Which…also should have been done yesterday as that was the holiday. I’m a very motivated person.)
- Turkeys being ugly AF so I don’t feel bad eating them. Although, I think cows are adorable but not adorable enough to stop shoving them in my face.
- Being married so I get two turkey dinners instead of one.
- The time of year for sports: baseball playoffs, hockey about to start, NFL well on its way, and the EPL being on at 6am Saturday’s and Sunday’s so Husband Graeme wakes up super early to watch and inevitably, I get to be awake as well.
- Living somewhere that has actual seasons. I have quite a few friends in the California area who get to look at the same thing all year round, only it might get a touch colder than normal. As much as I would love to look at palm trees and ocean all year round, I would miss the SHIT out of real autumn and the first snowfall. Ask me this again in 3 months and I will regret everything.
- The invention of Netflix.
- Not having children.
- Having a gym in our condominium. Speaking of which! Management put a sign up on the door stating no children were allowed in the gym AT ALL. Rejoice!
- My husbands hilar sense of humour:
Husband: Why do you keep getting your picture taken?
Me: Just for funzies really.
Husband: Are you the before picture?
- Seeing there’s a huge online sale at your favourite clothing store only to have everything in the sale section be shit so you click out of the window happy instead of clicking out of it with a full ass shopping bag but realizing your money is better in ya damn wallet.
- Underwear that isn’t a thong. God I hate thongs.
- Movember. MOUSTACHE’S GALORE!
- British Comedy.
- Having the damn privilege to ~T~R~A~V~E~L~
- Not watching the Presidential Debate on Sunday. I watched the first one a couple weeks ago and it was arguably the hardest thing I’ve watched on TV in a while. I could not handle Trump continuously interrupting Clinton to mansplain every fucking 10 seconds. I wanted to watch the second debate but decided Nope super last minute. I actually know nothing about it or what happened and I feel like a better person for it.
- In relation to the point above: alcohol.
- Men and women who say they aren’t a feminist or don’t identify with feminism. Thank you for the constant comedy, you kids kill me.
- Being Canadian.
- Buzzfeed articles that put together all the best tweets so I don’t have to search for them.
- Chai tea lattes.
- Baby animals.
- When people cancel plans and suddenly my night is free to do fuck all.
- Never eating at Taco Bell or Taco Time. I love tacos. I also love not shitting my ass immediately after eating something.
- Norman Reedus.
- Social media. There are two kinds of people in this world. One poo poos how much time people spend on social media and don’t understand why we need to be on social media because “do you even live?”, or, you’re like me and love All The Things! social media related. Twitter is a great and horrible place all at once, much like my mind. It’s where vicious trolls come to be themselves, but on the flip side, it’s also a great place to just tell the world how much you love cats as if anyone gives a shit. Instagram holds a special place in my heart because I get to post pictures whenever the fuck I want. And I’m definitely a picture whore. Facebook is definitely the worst of all the social medias but I am thankful for it as it’s essentially how I remember people’s birthdays.
- Money. People who say money can’t buy happiness have clearly never traveled. Shit ain’t cheap.
- 4:30pm on a Friday.